Prof. Dr. Sebastian Pokutta
Zuse Institute Berlin (ZIB)
Optimization and Machine Learning
Institute of Mathematics
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (courtesy)
Technische Universität Berlin
Research Lab. My lab is interested in Artificial Intelligence, Optimization, and Machine Learning. We develop new methodologies (e.g., new optimization and learning algorithms), work on combining learning and decision-making, as well as design AI Systems for real-world deployment in various application contexts.
- Revisiting the Approximate Carathéodory Problem via the Frank-Wolfe Algorithm
C. W. Combettes, S. Pokutta
preprint (2019), [arXiv] [summary] [slides]
- Locally Accelerated Conditional Gradients
J. Diakonikolas, A. Carderera, S. Pokutta
to appear in Proceedings of AISTATS (2020), [arXiv] [summary] [slides] [poster]
- Blended Matching Pursuit
C. W. Combettes, S. Pokutta
to appear in Proceedings of NeurIPS (2019), [arXiv] [summary] [slides] [poster]
- Restarting Frank-Wolfe
T. Kerdreux, A. d’Aspremont, S. Pokutta
to appear in Proceedings of AISTATS (2019), [arXiv] [summary] [slides]
- Blended Conditional Gradients: the unconditioning of conditional gradients
G. Braun, S. Pokutta, D. Tu, S. Wright
to appear in Proceedings of ICML (2019), [arXiv] [summary] [poster] [slides]
Select Recent Talks and Teaching.
- 09/2019: (technical) “Smooth Constraint Convex Minimization via Conditional Gradients”. Plenary at the 19th French-German-Swiss conference on Optimization. [slides]
- 09/2019: (technical) “Mirror Descent and related methods in Linear and Discrete Optimization” at Cargese Workshop on Combinatorial Optimization. [slides]
- 07/2019: (technical) “Locally Accelerated Conditional Gradients” at RIMS, Kyoto. [slides]
- 01/2019: (technical) “Smooth Constraint Convex Minimization via Conditional Gradients”. Plenary at INFORMS Computing Society Conference. [slides]
- 11/2018: (technical) “Blended Conditional Gradients” at Oberwolfach (unfortunately the animations do not work; see [arXiv] for exact algorithm). [slides]
- WS/2019: Discrete Optimization and Machine Learning (Seminar).
Recent Blog Posts.
- 11/2019: Approximate Carathéodory via Frank-Wolfe
- 09/2019: SCIP x Raspberry Pi: SCIP on Edge
- 08/2019: Universal Portfolios: how to (not) get rich
- 08/2019: Toolchain Tuesday No. 6
- 07/2019: Conditional Gradients and Acceleration
- 09/2019: We are organizing the third workshop on “Discrete Optimization and Machine Learning” in May 2020 at Kyoto University in Kyoto.
- 09/2019: TU Berlin and the Berlin School of Mathematics, with the support of MATH+, are organizing the “Combinatorial Optimization at Work (Co@Work) 2020” summer school on September 14 - 26, 2020 at ZIB in Berlin. Application deadline is: June 14, 2020. Intended audience: master/PhD students, Post-docs.